To help or not to help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chichi56788, Jun 23, 2010.

1. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    My chick is upside down in the egg pipping twords the bottom of the incubator. She has made a largeish hole. Should I flip it over. She seems to be trying to do it her self for the last 4 hours but to no avail. Should I help or not?

2. dusterbd

dusterbd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    I personally would help but thats me. I wouldn't do it all though just enough to make it easier for it.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Give it a bit longer and see if the chick is starting to zip. If not give it a little help,

Good Luck,
    sandie

4. chichi56788

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    She is doing fine she just seems confused and keeps pecking at the bottom. I want to help just not let humidity out.

5. dusterbd

Jun 9, 2010
    do you have a spray bottle you could mist the incubator to bring the humidity back up or you could even wet a paper towel I don't think it would hurt for just a minute or two though long enough to help a bit.

6. chichi56788

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    ok, I helped and there was a big gaping hole on the bottom. I cant realy describe what I saw. It was moving. Im going to try to take a pic.

7. dusterbd

Jun 9, 2010
    ok you sound like me I am going to be so nervous and anxious when mine start hatching... can't wait to see the pic!!!

8. chichi56788

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I cant get a picture of it because it is at such an odd angle. So here is my drawing. It looks like a little canaries head. I can see a black dot that opens and closes (eye?) and an orange triangle. There also seems to be a thin membrain over the whole thing.
    [​IMG]

9. dusterbd

Jun 9, 2010
    I get what your talking about I had to help an egg hatch that we had in our first incubator which was homeade and sucked anyways I know this isn't recommended and i was taking a gamble. I started the pip in it last night and helped it finish today it was on day 25 and the one that was supose to hatch 2 days before this one I didn't help and it ended up dying. Needless to say the little fellow is weak but is starting to cheap like crazy. I just hope it makes it because it has pretty colors in it and is so precious. When i started the pip in it I saw the white membrane your talking about. Well if I can get the humidity right in my incubator tonight for lock down then I am off to bed. Good luck with your hatch and I will definately check in tomorrow to see if you have posted pics of the new chicks...

10. chichi56788

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Its all good! It was just the beak pipping! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by