1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To hen incubate or not to?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Livlif2itsfulest, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Livlif2itsfulest

Livlif2itsfulest Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    Ashland
    So I just found a new home for my rooster this morning... yeah! (due to lack of manners around children)

But I still have less then a week old fertile eggs left that I hate to not hatch... I have 2 hens manning a nesting box... I rarely see both off it and when another hen enters the coop they scream like pterodactyls... so I dont know if that means they are broody or not (just started 2 weeks ago)... I tried easter eggs under them to see if they would stay on them and they will just every few days they both leave the nest to stretch for a few hours and then returns soo I am scared that if I put real eggs under them they will allow the to go cold. I dont want to buy an incubator for just this clutch of eggs and i dont have the smarts or talent to build my own... so that is where you all come in... opinions on what i should do? I really think this would be a pretty bird to hatch. thanks [​IMG]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    well, if you don't want to buy an incubator, sticking them under the hen is about the only option left... unless you have a friend with an incubator

3. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    From what i know and that is very little for I have yet to have a broody hen, but they do not stay on the nest 24/7. They have to eat and drink. I have a incubator that has had the temp all over the place and 14/17 of my eggs are doing good. Egg hold there heat some what good from what I have read on here. I would say just put the eggs under them and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by