to home or not to home, that is the question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leos-mama, Apr 2, 2011.

1. leos-mama

leos-mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    My 3 year old sons school have an incubator with 6 eggs in - the farmer has agreed if they cannot rehome them he will take them back (as he realises that some children never get to witness things like this) but he would prefer someone else to take them on. The nursery will only keep them for 3 days so I pretty much need to know anything/everything that goes with raisng chicks. I can build a new house and run (well will convert an relatives unwanted Kennel by raising it and addin a run) to home them but I work full time. How much is involved with the raising of babies. Also would I be able to tell at 3 days whether they are boys or girls as I cant keep roos, and been very new at this game could not face giving away my first babies or worse still culling them. The nursery has no idea on breeds!!
    Cheers
    Lisa -

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    It would depend on what chickens they came from. Some chicks can be sexed by color after hatching. If someone has contact with the person who provided the eggs they might be able to answer that question. As far as care, just a little feed, water, heat lamp, and love. Along with a brooder box to keep them in of course.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The BYC home page has tons of information that should answer your basic questions. Baby chicks need shelter, heat, food & water. They grow fast so they'll need a safe place to live in the yard within 10 weeks. While some chicks can be sexed at hatch, you need to wait for most breeds to show those secondary sex characteristics. Some boy chicks' combs begin to grow larger & turn redder in just a few weeks. No matter where you obtain chicks you need to have a good Plan B for any unwanted roosters. Perhaps the farmer who supplied the eggs is willing to take back roosters once it's evident that's what they are. It's best to train yourself & your kids to refrain from naming or getting too attatched to new chicks until you know for certain you will be keeping them. We have learned to say "IF that's a hen we're going to keep, let's name her..."

Let us know what you decide. If you do begin to keep chickens, you'll find a LOT of great help & support here!

4. leos-mama

Mar 20, 2011
    Thanks
    I got my first 6 hens (all supposedly POL) 2 weeks ago so I am unsure if I would be taking on too much too fast!! I have a fortnight to think about it. If they hatch over the easter hols its easy as they will go back to the farm while I am on holiday but if they are still "eggs" when I return I may be tempted!! x will update tho!
    Lisa

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Hee hee hee, and the addiction begins...

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Big Wink, looks like we got another one! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] she'll fit right in!

7. leos-mama

Mar 20, 2011
    My family thik I have "cracked" up pardon the pun.. Its like chicken OCD:lau

I have however decided when I am ready to increase my flock to let my silkie have a clutch and let nature do what it does best!!!!
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by