To Hot out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CathieG, Jun 28, 2016.

1. CathieG

CathieG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Is it possible for the Chicken to "soft Boil" eggs by sitting on them in 100 degree temps? I collect my eggs every afternoon, but yesterday mom tried baking and 3 of the eggs she cracked looked like they were soft boiled. Only she or I would boil the eggs, so we are confused. The temp here in Fla has been in the high 90's lows in the day and high 70's at night. We have never seen this before so we are just wondering. I can't collect any earlier as I'm at work. Any Ideas??

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes. I live in a desert area of Southern California and it gets 110 degrees out. I can actually FRY an egg on the hood of my car. So absolutely if its hot enough the egg can look somewhat cooked. In Florida it does not get near as hot as here but you have hummity making hotter. We have dry heat like a oven without hummity. Here is what i do. My hen house is attached to my run via a pull up door. In the run i wrap the whole run in THICK shade cloth with 98% UV blocking. Its a plastic tightly woven. (Amazon purchase) . Then i place a large box fan in the run and secure it to the fence. Then i put a mister by the fan and it acts as a cooler for my 11 Girls. It was so hot by 830 this morning i had to start the mister already to prevent panting. If you need to cool them off try a few or all these tricks and it will keep your eggs and birds A LOT Cooler! Hope this helps. Best wishes

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Where in southern California are you located/ I'm also in southern California. I'm in the palm springs area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by