to hott to order chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kasey08, Jul 9, 2010.

1. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    i was wondering if its to hott to order chicks from a hatchery? ideal poultry hatchery

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My ideal order came from texas to vermont, while we were right in the middle of our 90+ heat wave... out of 28 birds, 2 dead, likely squashed by the goose... everyone else was totally fine. not any in need of reviving or anything... my last order (in April) had more technical survivors, but they were all in iffy shape... so I say not too hot.

3. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    goose?

4. hannalice

hannalice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    I agree with chickensducks&agoose- my order from Ideal just arrived today after being shipped on Wednesday from TX to VT- no deaths, no one was really even looking bad. The lady at the post office said when I picked them up that every chick shipment that came through this week did fabulously in the heat.

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

my order was 25 meat birds and a duck and a goose.

6. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I ordered some last week, and 3/27 were dead. I contacted Ideal and they will refund any dead chicks. So I got my money back. The rest are doing fantastic!

7. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

I got my chicks from Ideal today too! They seemed to do just fine in the heat. Everyone is alive and well so far. And very active!

Of course, what I don't understand is how a shipment can get from Texas to Vermont in two days, because it also took two days for my chicks to travel the less than 200 miles from Cameron, TX to my post office in East Texas???

Rachel

8. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I got some chicks sent from a breeder. The chicks were 4 days old and they were shipped to Minnesota to Louisiana. Its 100 degrees here and all 21 made it alive and are healthy.

9. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I don't order chicks from anyone but Ideal And I have only had one loss from shipping in 300+ chickens maybe I am just lucky [​IMG]

10. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    wow well that makes me feel better...do you always have to pick them up from the post office? how do you know when they are there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by