To incubate or not to incubate ...

Blueyes132

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2016
montana
So I have nine chickens. I don't know who's laying them but I have several eggs since 29 August. I have two chickens that I think have been sitting on them but not all day and all night I guess my question is do I put those eggs in the incubator or not? My husband says do it but I don't want to waste electricity on dead eggs.

So I have nine chickens. I don't know who's laying them but I have several eggs since 29 August. I have two chickens that I think have been sitting on them but not all day and all night I guess my question is do I put those eggs in the incubator or not? My husband says do it but I don't want to waste electricity on dead eggs.
You can candle them and see if there is any development. I'm guessing though that they are only sitting during laying duration (some hens sit for quite a while prior to and after the egg is laid and not broody. If there is no development I would definitely throw them out as they are already 20 days or so old. Have you ever checked the fertility of your eggs by cracking them open and looking for the "bullseye" on the yolk? (Blastoderm)

Thanks. I will candle them and if I don't see anything I'll crack one open. The more current ones I'll put in the incubator right away.

Back
Top Bottom