To Jumbo or not to Jumbo

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TheJuan-n-Only, Mar 10, 2014.

1. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Hello all! I'm a total new be to quaill, still doing research before I "dive in". Most the info I can find is for regular quail, but not much on jumbo coturnix quail. A few questions:

-whats the difference in space requirements? Including the cage's height....
    - how much larger are the jumbo crompared to regular coturnix quail?
    - any other info I should know regarding the differences?

Thank you advance for your help!

2. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Jumbo is just a fancy word for bigger. My Jumbo Brown Quail grow to between 10-12 oz in 8 weeks. A non-jumbo Coturnix may only reach 8 oz in the same timeframe. As far as eggs go, sometimes I have eggs the size of bantams eggs and other times the eggs are just normal size. About five quail eggs equal one chicken egg.
    Space requirements are the same, about 1sq foot per bird.

Chicken-Farmer

3. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    They are the same, they just grow bigger. From what I read they were successfully mated to encourage a larger size. Either way the requirements are the same although personally I might give them a little more space then I would give the regular guys.

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Juan, welcome back to BYC, and welcome to the Quail forum. To add, typically, quail weigh around 10 oz, and jumbos will weigh 14+ oz. I know, you're thinking, "that's just 4(+) oz"... yes, but if you compare jumbo eggs with normal eggs, there is a noticeable difference. I received JMF quail eggs, and a large majority of them would barely fit into the quail rails on my automatic turner. In fact, I had to take out every other tray because the eggs would "rub" against the rail next to it during the rotation of the automatic turner and I had to use one regular tray for some eggs because they wouldn't fit into the quail rails.
    Here is a thread one of our members who compared 2 jumbo lines, and here is a photo comparing the size of the eggs. If you look at Reedgirls profile pic, the comparison is really interesting.
    James

5. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks James! I didn't start the thread, but that is nice comparisons! I hope I have jumbos cause the egg size is noticeably larger.

6. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Awesome info guys, I think ill be going the Jumbo route.....now to find some locally! Lol.....well I have to build the cage 1st....Im building it 2sq ft per bird, so they will be good togo!

7. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    They are lucky birds! I think mine are a little overcrowded in their current accomodations. We are building them a new coop this week though.

8. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I always try to give more than the required if at all possible. With my hens I did the same, heck the own my entire backyard now! LoL

with quail, since the ccages have to be only so tall, I can build condos for expanding....im sure it will come to that sooner than later....

9. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I am the same way about the space requirements ....my coturnix typically have 2-3 sq ft per bird while my bobwhite and scaled quail have between 6-10 sq ft per bird when the minimum is 4

10. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I figured it would be best. With my hens, I have noticed, that if they are not "happy" their production slows down....so I will have 2sq feet,
    with option to expand !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by