To Keep a Roo or no?

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
I started with chickens last year, bought what I thought was 9 pullets, they all ended up being roos...so got rid of them,
now I have 16 newbies...3 of which are now roos..not bad odds, my question..is keeping one roo a good idea?
I really only wanted eggs, but I read stories and think I should keep one...what say you?

I have 13 pullets, of varying breeds, and will be getting 3 more EE chicks this week, to make up for the 3 EE roos I have! So my roo will be an EE...now to decide on which to keep? They are only 9 weeks old...2 are feathered out more then the one, 2 have combs one doesn't yet, that is why we thought he was a she...but "she" is crowing and everyone on this site told me roo...."she" seems to be the most aggressive...not sure that is what I want...guess I need to watch them more closely?

Last edited:
Keeping a roo gives you the option of having your hens raise chicks from your own stock and provides a protector for your flock (especially useful if you are free-ranging!). If you decide to keep one, be sure to read up on how to handle a people-agressive roo as that seems to come up a lot. There are lots of good suggestions on how to deal with/prevent the agression.

I have no issues, and would love to see my newest roo grow up, he is an EE mixed with a Polish I believe...my issue is knowing which eggs are fertile and which ones will be ok to sell to friends?
I am ignorant in this area....I know the answer can't be hard....I have heard if you try to get eggs from under a hen and she pecks at you, a good sign she is broody....any advice?

If you have a rooster who is mature and he has access to your hens, then you will likely have fertile eggs. A lot of the folks around us don't care if the eggs are fertile or not - as long as you collect the eggs daily, it shouldn't be an issue. As for a hen pecking at you being an indicator of broodiness, I think there are other, better indicators - like the hen will be sitting on a nest all day. I currently have two broodies - one is a sweetheart and I can pick her up and move her and the other is a banshee who attacks anything that comes near her or the nest.

I would suggest keeping 1 or 2. They keep the hens in line and are the first ones to a fight! A good rooster will die before letting a hen get attacked or hurt. The keep one eye out for danger at all times, they keep the hens together, and will call the hens to a food source they find. If you can put up with their noise, they are worth it. Besides you may want to hatch and raise your own chicks later as your layers age

Quote:
so if you have fertile eggs, they are still ok to eat? I am sorry...there are some things I know so much about, and other things I feel stupid about...! LOL Like I said new to chickens, only started last summer, and they were all roos!

Yup, you can eat fertile eggs. You may notice a small speck of red attached to the yolk, especially if it was left with the hen for a day or so before finding it. I usually pick it (the red spot) out and eat the egg like usual. I don't notice anything different (taste wise.)

Quote:
ok....all good advice, now to choose which roo to keep? Here are the pics....what do you guys think?

68634_eeroo2.jpg

68634_ee_roo.jpg

68634_dsc_0045.jpg

**this one I thought was a pullet, but with all the crowing and the feathering, I was told differently....

*we tend to favor the darker one, I need to get whole body shots, these are about 9 weeks old, and the first two are mixed with a Polish I believe

They are not my chickens so I have no personal attachment, but if I were picking...personal choice would be the darker one in the middle picture. I think he is going to be very handsome. The first one will make someone a nice roo too, interesting markings. I think I would hold on to the third one until I was absolutely sure it is a "he". I have heard some say that hens will crow. "It" doesn't quite look the same as the other two very obvious roos. Again, just my opinion!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom