1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To late to eat meat bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mysouthernbelle, Jul 1, 2016.

1. mysouthernbelle

mysouthernbelle New Egg

Jan 14, 2016
    I got a Cornish cross I'm pretty sure thinking it would be a white layer like my other one (I'm not good with breeds at all ) but it turned out to be a meat chicken I've never had a meat chicken before. So I looked up when the best time to so I looked up when the best time to process them is and it said 8 weeks , I wasn't planning on killing him so I was going to give him to my neighbor who has had meat chickens before but I felt bad and let him live a little longer and now he's getting really big and I don't want him to suffer is it to late to give him to my neighbor to eat he's 10 weeks now ?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Slow cooked he will make an excellent roaster.

1 person likes this.
  3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I personally like big roasters. I butchered most of mine when they weighed between 9 and 12 pounds. One I delayed processing because I didn't have the time to do it and he dressed out at 16 pounds. I stuffed him and roasted him like a turkey. He was delicious.

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

My biggest CX from the first butchering this year was 14 pounds dressed.
    He was a bit tough but still very good.
    We had to delay butchering for 3 extra weeks this year because our regular butcher went missing and after quite the search, we found another one a bit North of us.
    My next batch will be ready to go in 3 weeks. They will be 8 weeks at that point. Perfect age for tenderness and flavor!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by