To late to imprint?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ben is a terror, May 19, 2011.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I picked up 1 gosling and 2 ducklings on Monday. I only got the ducklings to keep him company because he was only about 8 hrs. old. The ducklings are 2 1/2 weeks old and at least 2x or more his size. Is it to late to separate the gosling so she bonds only with me or is to late. I want to move the ducks to a separate pen in the garage. Is it to dark in the garage for them? They will have their heat lamp and lots of visits. If I separate them can I let them play outside together on the lawn and in the pool They all like me but I want the goose to be a house goose I'm getting her a diaper this week.
    I hope it's not to late. Goose will go out eventually but I want to keep her in as long as possible. Is that selfish?
    Thanks

2. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    No it's not too late. Just make sure you are really SURE you want a full time, in your face CONSTANT companion you take with you everywhere (including the john). I'm the type that loves this. I took my goslings to the store with me. It's hard to understand what a huge committment this is before you do it. It terrifies goslings to be alone, they instinctually know they are dead meat if they are alone, so when they cry they aren't doing it just to be annoying [​IMG] .

I've had very close pet geese but they had "friends" (other geese) with whom they spent time, too. So it's something to think about [​IMG] VERY wonderful pets they are, but very demanding and they bond to you like a human child.

3. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Can I keep her totally with me and then move her outside when she get older 6mo.or more? Would that to much for her? I really want to do the right thing by her. I love her so much even though I've only had her since Monday

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I for one couldn't have a goose with me 24/7 and that's what it will be if you make your goose a house goose. Kim65 is right, it will be like having a human toddler with you at all times. I would keep the ducks around because when you go to work or out by yourself the goose is going to panic and cry and probably make itself sick which would be bad. Your goose can still imprint and be close to you even it it's outside with ducks. I have 2 babies that are 2 months old and spend there day with chicks and other birds. They do come over to me and spend time with me outside but I know they can be left with all the other animals and not panic.

5. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    I would also leave the goose with the ducks. The gosling will bond just fine with you. BTW they are easily bribed with treats [​IMG]

6. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    This all makes sense to me. The ducks will be ready to go out before her they're about 3 weeks old and she is only 4 days. I'm going to a poultry show tomorrow and was planning on picking up a few ducks. Should I try to get some about her age. The ducks are huge compared to her.

7. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Quote:You could, but she will quickly outgrow the new ducklings. She'll catch up with your current babies in no time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by