To let the hen have the babies, or no?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shared Acres, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Ok, I got my incubator in and I have my eggs in, but I thought I read that some people put the eggs back out in the nest box right before they hatch?

I would prefer to let a momma hen raise them. Hoping the babies would be accepted into the flock easier that way and the momma would watch after them if I free range them.

What do you think? I'm new to this!

2. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I personally would prefer to let them with the mama. I had a batch raised by their mom and she taught them everything they know. They will eagerly go out to free range every afternoon on their own now whereas the dozen I raised without a hen still stay in the pen. No big deal, I just think they learn a lot more. I didn't have to worry about them in with the rest of the flock as long as she was taking care of them either. Talk about a lot of spunk--she even chased off our St. Bernard a time or two. Then one day, she all the sudden decided she was done with them--just like that. They are still the low guys on the totem pole but they're old enough now to run. And then, there's just nothing like seeing a mother hen followed by a string of babies!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you have a broody hen, I'd wait until the little fluffy buts hatch, then I would put them under her at night.

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    She's not broody. Both my hens only sit on eggs at night (that I see).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by