To light or not to Light

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by desertgirl, Nov 29, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I posted this in anothr thread, but so far no luck and I would love some input....[​IMG]

Question-how much will it prolong their lives if I chose not to use lights during the winter months (i.e. not give them a break)? Could someone tell me more about the pros and cons of lights vs. no lights? I want to do the right thing, but I also want eggs!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    DG, there are a million opinions on this subject. I sent you a PM. [​IMG]

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Thanks!!![​IMG]

4. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I am new also and I studied and studied the pros and cons and opinions of lighting the coop! Finally I decided on a happy medium. I have the lights turn on at 6 am before I go to work, and have them on a couple of hours after dark. Not to extend laying, but to be easier for me to tend to them with my schedule. Really not enough to hurt them, nor to help egg laying but for some reason it seems sane to me. Good luck!

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I just answered in the other post, but here are my thoughts again:

That's a tough question to answer.

Pros of lights: more eggs

Cons of lights: higher electric bill (slightly higher, unless you have a very, very large coop), less natural for the hens

Giving them supplemental light doesn't necessarily shorten their life span. Most people just find it more natural for the hens to do as they please without artificially stimulating them to lay. While some here have birds that are several years old or older, I think that most backyard flocks have a fairly high turn over rate anyways, due to predators and sickness or disease. Along those lines I advocate giving them the supplemental light.

There is no right or wrong...

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Good points, all. Much appreciated!

7. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Buy em a "Clucker". Cluck on, cluck off...the clucker.

Chicken strobes.
    [​IMG]

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    You have just about the same climate as I have, DesertGirl. It is just a little colder and snowier here, probably. On December 21st, you will have about 10 hours of sunshine and I will have about 8 hours. There is higher ground to both the east and west so the sun isn't up even that long.

My birds would have to sit in the cold and dark for 16 hours every night if they didn't have supplemental lighting. I don't think that would be a healthy situation.

I honestly don't know what I'd do about light south of 35° latitude but I know what I do here at 48° North latitude. I give them a light [​IMG].

Steve

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by