1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To Make An Olive Egger......Legbar?????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by madamwlf, Feb 5, 2012.

1. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I know OEs are usually made by crossing a dark egg layer with either an Ameraucana or a EE that has the blue egg gene. Now that Cream Legbars are in the US, can these be used to create OEs as well? They don't have pea combs but they do have the blue egg gene. Can it be done??? Thanks!

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    No one???

3. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
  4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Since it is just an egg color cross, you could use araucanas, ameraucanas, easter eggers, legbars, any blue egg laying hen and cross her with a marans and get olive eggers. They aren't really a set breed but just a cross for egg color so have fun with it!

1 person likes this.
  5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    so you want a Dark Olive egger that is also sexable at hatch? thats easy.. cuckoo Olive egger.. they are being developed from cuckoo marans... the Barring gene is a sex linked trait.. you can sex barred chicks at hatch

2 people like this.
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Umm, Cuckoo Easter Eggers, Cuckoo Araucanas, and Crele Penedesencas too [​IMG] All those can create Olive Eggers sexable at hatch and the egg color will still be just as good.

2 people like this.
  7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    True.. I was just pointing out that a cuckoo Olive egger is already been work on.. he could get his hand on some some of them

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    The reason I asked is I already have Legbar roosters and I know many have said the pea comb is linked to the blue egg gene.

9. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Legbars are such cool birds! I think you should totally go for it since you have the roosters. Okay, so now you just need some super dark brown egg layers.

Of course, now you have me thinking about experimenting a bit with our flock of Barred Black Olive Eggers. I might just have to see if I can get my hands on a couple of roos... perhaps a Cream Legbar and maybe even a Blue Isbar would be fun! hmmmm... :)

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is, but not by titanium chains or anything [​IMG] Legbars themselves have single combs and lay blue eggs, plus there's a strain of Dorking in the UK who lay blue eggs, and then there's the recent development in the US of production-laying single combed blue egg layers, so, it is possible.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by