1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To make it offical- Catawba Quails Are Starting up!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by monarc23, Mar 26, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Laying eggs that is! Collected 4 today! [​IMG]!

2 from the golden pen, 1 from a tibe i thought was a roo.... (apparently not..) LOL! and Rosie layed a huge egg [​IMG] well it was either rosie or PC (purple quail-- PCs curly). It's so big id think it'd be PCs egg but yet her vent doesnt look like she layed an egg lol [​IMG]

First one i got this morning was layed in 1 inches of water! LOL!.... so i opened it and it was fertile!: [​IMG]

These are the ones i just collected that will be going in the bator here in a few days:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Awesome! All my breeders are still running mixed. Can't wait to get them all penned up...will be sure to post lots of pics....looking at having about 4-8 pens right now. Depending on coloration projects.....so far though in the way of coloration projects I have....

Golden Tuxedo
    Golden A&M
    SG Jumbo
    RED

And just building up more Red Tuxedos.....
    LOL going to be a busy year here...how about you?!?!?
    [​IMG]

3. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    *cracks knuckles*

YESSS it is! [​IMG]

My plans (ones in bold are for sure) the ones not in bold are going to happen as long as my theories work lol.

**hoping to get my reds tomorrow (red tux and solid red) so prob a pen for each of those or together just depends on what I wanna work more for and what I get more of.

**A & M pen ofcourse

**Golden pen (has brown pharoah hens in it, as well as golden hens, and one tuxedo hen----she's in there mainly because she is a spazz in the smaller pens.... so she's an unintentional project hen) lol.

**Tuxedo pen- which includes PC---Purple Curly [​IMG] (jumbo brown curly feathered girl) working on curly tuxes in the future that's going to take a few generations i'd think atleast 2-3.

** Dark Tibetan pen (i call them blacks but ofcourse they arent lol not yet atleast) all the lights are either culled out or put in with the tuxedos or A & Ms haven't made up my mind there yet. I only have one light tibetan and that's a hen and she's in with an A & M hen for now untili I make up my mind.

**Jumbo brown pen

**Chocolate pen----I'm assuming I can get this via the reds---so that's not even in existance yet for me.

**Golden red crosses and Golden tibes, and golden red tuxdos (if my theory of their genetics is correct this shouldnt take too long). [​IMG]

Starting pedigrees soon for my birds [​IMG]

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    LOL nice! Who you getting the Red, Red Tuxs from? Please pm me that info. Can be our little secret [​IMG]
    Is there a reason you are getting your quail chicks NPIP tested? I have been wondering about doing this but just can't think of a reason why.
    [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:just to get all my birds done together because if you have chickens NPIP'ed and dont have your game birds tested they have to be pretty far away from eachother and must be tested once the reach sexual maturity. Plus I just want people to know that my birds all mybirds are safe from this or that [​IMG] [​IMG]

PMing you [​IMG]

6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Those are some nice looking eggs my dear

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:thank you im a proud mama LOL!

8. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Striking difference in color between those eggs. Beautiful. Good luck hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by