To many birds in the chicken coop...!

startone

Hatching
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Winter time here in Denver metro area...the Starlings ar flocking to the coop...the chickens are free range...any way to keep the birds out...I am tired of feeding the birds...any suggestions...as soon as I walk in the house they are back...

Steve,
Broomfield, Colorado

Wow. That's a tough one! I leave the hen's door open when my girls are free ranging so that they can get in to lay eggs. I guess Chickenmaven has the best answer. In my case I'd have to build new feeders, too heavy to move the ones I have and no way to close them up. Anyone have design ideas for a feeder that can be closed during the day, that will still hold a lot of feed?

SunnyDawn, do you let your chickens eat all day from a big feeder? I noticed others on here talk about large feeders. Would love to see pictures. We feed morning and evening in pans on the ground then take them up. Mine would probably eat until they fell down if we let them. They are free range so they can eat bugs etc. as it is , they keep an eye on "lunch time" and run or fly from the pasture to eat their treats at midday, hang around if I don't come out with something.

That's so funny. Yes mine are free to come into their coop and eat whenever they want but they seem to prefer to free range, coming in once in awhile to eat. I guess because it's out all day they take it for granted, because when I come out to throw treats to them they came running full bore (it is hilarious to watch) to get to me. I feed them different things as treats but usually it's leftover greens or veggies that haven't been cooked yet. They eat pretty much anything (even chicken soup) though I don't like to give them anything sweet (except fruit) or processed.
My feeder is homemade and all I did was drill large holes near the bottom on the sides of a 5 gallon bucket (that has a lid), drilled a hole in the bottom of the bucket and through a large, heavy duty plastic plant saucer (about 4 inches wider than the bottom of the bucket) bolted the two together, raised the feeder up on a platform about 5 inches and filled with feed. I put the lid back on after filling it to keep the feed clean and I have a gallon milk jug attached to the top to keep my gals from roosting on it (so they don't poop in the feed). It's not the prettiest feeder but it works very well!
Of course it would not help keep other birds out, but I don't have that problem here. On my BYC page, on the "My coop" page there is a picture of it (3rd one down).

Last edited:
I moved my cat food and water to the shed with the chickens. Cats are doing a great job. the food and wated keep the cats going to the shed. Make sure there is a 24/7 cat entry/exit.

Check to see if starlings are protected in your area (I bet they aren't) and if you can shoot them (I bet you can).

Starlings are an invasive species in the US and can be killed without prelude in many areas. Blast away at them for a while and they'll eventually learn to stay away.

And just so everyone understands... normally I don't condone shooting first and asking questions later. My major exception is with invasives, since killing them means giving life to many, many natives that the invasives crowd out.

Back
Top Bottom