1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To many Drakes!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luvmypets, Dec 20, 2014.

1. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Hi everyone we have recently noticed that we have, WAY to many drakes. We have seventeen ducks total, and almost half of them are drakes! Egg production has been stopped for over three months. I recently figured out it was because of to many drakes, and to much stress on the ladies. So I have a few ideas on what to do with the excess males without culling them.

I was thinking make like a little male only area. It would most likely be behind the chicken run. We would probably keep the younger males with the hens, for more fertility.

Sell some of the older drakes( about a year and a half)

Any other ideas, atm culling is not an option we would like to consider.

Thanks, Luv

2. fethr37

fethr37 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    western washington
    Sounds like you have a good plan that should work.

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    If you want to keep everyone I think running 2 flocks would be the best way to go. Put all/most of the males together and keep them apart from your girls and chickens. Give them their own area and just let out one flock at a time. Or your plan sounds good too. Sell the older males/excess and just keep who you want.

4. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    I think we will end up putting most of the males in there own area, and keeping two young males with the ladies. Thanks for the input

5. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Hey if you have the room for a drake only area go for it! Perfect!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by