to many ganders hand pluck long and tuff why not try skinning them?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bluejeans, Feb 18, 2013.

1. bluejeans

bluejeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    i had ordered some goslings last year from Mcmurray hatchery.. i ordered straight run figuring i would get about half geese and not mostly ganders// boy was i wrong .. i sure learned its a lot easier to just skin the ganders you want to dress out for the dinner table than do all that hand plucking . .Also the dejointing is easly done with just ones pocket knife also ..
    You can salvage some fat that hangs onto the hide also after skinning if you like goose fat.. [​IMG]

2. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I do both - When i want a roaster I pluck and wax - all other get skinned

3. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    [​IMG]But isn't the skin the best part? (I've only eaten duck)

4. bluejeans

Jul 25, 2012
    Duck taste a lot like goose .. very roast beefy .. i skin my cayagus as its much easier to get a clean looking duck carcus that way .
    Do to the black pin feathers .

The skin of goose like duck is very tasty but on the meat side of the skin is where most of the fat is,, just like duck .

older people like me propably do not need all that fat and good tasting skin as they can not burn it off as quickly as young people..

Also its much faster and easier to skin a duck or goose than it is to hand pluck one than wax and pull the wax and pin feathers off...
    talk about crispy duck .. The chineses leave the head on after waxing, they then make a small incision in the neck under the skin
    add a foot ball needle and pump air between the skin and carcus .. the skin seperates from the meat very nicely that way and allows
    that crispy oh so good taste to their duck as they roast it.. the head of course is cut off before the roasting ..

5. bluejeans

Jul 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by