1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To many roos, how to humanely take care of them???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SilkieCRZYness, Jun 28, 2008.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I am raising lots of chicks and i dont want any roosters, and i would like to cut down on the cost of feed and make more room in the brooder, any suggestions how to quickly take care of them because no one around here wants baby roos. i have tried not to get attached to them that much just wonderin???? thanks

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    There are plenty of debates on this topic, but personally, I believe the quick removal of the head is the most humane way to cull unwanted chickens. Maybe not easiest for the HUMAN, but quickest and least painful/scary for the chicken.

If the chicks are still very small, you can place the chick in a plastic bag and then use a sharp pair of scissors to cut the head off.

Older chicks you can use a sharpened hatchet or cleaver. Drive two nails in a piece of lumber or stump, etc about 3/4" apart or so. Put the chicken with it's head on one side of the nails and the neck between the nails. That way you can hold the body with one hand and the nails will secure the head and you get a good, swift, one stroke beheading with no chance of getting your fingers instead.

It's not a pretty thought, but it is necessary sometimes...

3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Take them to a flea market they will go fast, people will buy these and raise for meat, the price may not be great but it will help u and someone else.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    As arlee said a quick removal of the head is how we handle it. How old are they?
    Even 8 week old standards are worth cleaning and making soup out of.
    You could easily throw together a small run out of cheap chicken wire and use
    a box with a tarp over it as a temporary coop. They won't crow until later on.

5. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    they are 6 weeks and its i would take them to a flea market but the closest one is an hour away and i wouldnt even get enough for gas just to drive there and back for them. ill just have to do what arlee said take care of them, like i said i dont want to but my roo has already killed two other juvy males i introduced soo mise well take care of them humanely.

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Offer them for free on Craigslist or freecycle, they shouldn't last long and it's free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by