To many roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Stone13, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Stone13

Stone13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Lake Village, Indiana
    I have 6 roosters and 4 hens and the roosters are fighting, is there anything to do besides fried chicken for dinner to do with the roosters. I don't wan to kill them but their getting out of hand, my neighbor talked me into getting chickens this year and we decided to hatch them ourselves and when they hatched we had 20. 12 roosters 8 hens and split them up. Any advice is great. Jim

2. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    Ouch! [​IMG]
    You can sell them. Where do you live, I might like one. [​IMG]

*If you have more than 2 roosters in the same coop then (most likely) they will fight. Mine did. [​IMG]

Otherwise I don't know what you can do... [​IMG]

3. waterchicken

Oct 28, 2011
    BTW [​IMG]

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Jim you could put a free ad on craigslist and give them away, just a thought.
    Michele

5. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Quote:I always scan craigslist for roosters. [​IMG] They're needed for chicks.... and stew.
    [​IMG]

6. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I built another coop because i didn't want to give mine up either. I have 3 roosters, 2 in the big coop that were raised together, and one in the small coop. When i let them free range they don't fight, they just basically stay away from one another.

Another thing you might want to consider is over breeding. If you have that many roosters and not enough hens for them, they will overbreed. Your hens with have sores on their backs and their feathers will get pulled off. My neighbors have this problem and their hens look horrible, i can't imagine what the poor things feel like!!

Karen

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    That's definitely too many roosters for those hens. The lowest ratio is 1:2 -- 1 roo to 2 hens -- and it's called a trio. But even that's a bit hard on the girls, I think.

But yeah, you could put up an ad on Craigslist or an auction on here. Or in your local newspaper. I've seen a few ads around here for free roosters.

8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I have 2 roos and 2 hens ( the 3rd is broodie , in an seperate area) How many hens do I NEED? My hens have jackets [​IMG]

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    A rooster should have a minimum of 2 hens, preferably more. I think a quad is a healthy grouping.

10. waterchicken

Oct 28, 2011
    Quote:.... [​IMG] Mine only roo has over ten... [​IMG] But that doesn't matter when I'm around, 'cause to him I am the bigger roo. [​IMG]

But hey, it's always your choice as to what you do with him... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by