To many roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OPIE, Jul 7, 2008.

1. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Howdy, I am just getting started with my Buff Orphington chicks, I received them on April 1st. I had 21. (key word there is HAD) 16 pullets and 5 cockrels. Thanks to one of my over eager english mastiff's who thinks everything that moves wants to play I now have 4 roosters and 10 hens. I would like to get my hens back up to around 20, but should I thin out my roosters? I think I only need one, but I am not sure. Thanks in advance for your advice.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I seem to remember that the proper ratio is 1 rooster to 10 hens. That would mean you would have to get rid of some roos but if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me [​IMG]

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I believe the general rule of thumb is one Roo for 10 - 12 hens. If you had 20 hens you could have 2 Roos ... if they got along with each other. If you don't need fertile eggs you really only need one Roo even with 20 hens.

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    If you don't want fertile eggs you don't need any roosters!!

5. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    I would like to try and hatch some chicks from eggs, I have my mothers old incubator to do it with. I would like to replenish my lost with the ones I have.[​IMG]

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    nuggetsowner wrote:
    If you don't want fertile eggs you don't need any roosters!!

That's totally true ... I was thinking in terms of having a Roo around to keep the flock together, the girls in-line and protect his girls.​

7. auskittle

auskittle Cheesy Doodle Head

Jun 25, 2008
    Northern Ca
    Nuggetsowner:) :

I seem to remember that the proper ratio is 1 rooster to 10 hens. That would mean you would have to get rid of some roos but if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me [​IMG]

i'm not sure, but i thought it was 1 roo to 8 hens.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by