To many Treats??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladybug99, Sep 23, 2010.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I have 8 week old Welsummers.. they have been out in the coop with a covered run for over a month now. They are doing very well and really seem to enjoy thier home. Every night before I close them up I feed them treats. I work in a place that always has left over sandwiches which I feed them everyother day or so (tuna, egg salad and peanut better and jelly).. other days I will give them oatmeal, cheese, and fresh fruit and veggies and greens from the garden. I just put up a new feeder on Sunday and checked it today and noticed the feed level hasn't really gone down. am I feeding them to many treats?? They are very healthy and happy but I am worried the feed has nutrients I can't provde in thier treats... I am will to stop feeding them treats but they look forward to it sooo much.. looking for some advice from the experts here [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A lot of us violate this a lot, but the rule of thumb is that if they can clean it up in 10 to 20 minutes, it is not too much. More than that, it could be.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    When you do give them treats, I would stick to the healthier treats. I would really reduce the amount of bread and sugar I give them.

4. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I guess I have nothing to worry about.. the treats barely last 3 minutes let alone 10 ......I don't ever give them sugar... I forgot to post the peanut butter and jelly are sugarfree....but I will keep the bread limited....last night it was rice, cheese and yogert and some wormy tomatoes from the garden.. gone by the time I closed the coop door!!!

thanks for your imput [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by