To many Windows?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tsiecz, Sep 14, 2011.

1. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    I am finishing up my coop (4' x 8') and at present have one window 32" x 28". I have access (amazing what you can find on garbage day..LOL) to more windows(2 to3) and was think of putting these on the backside. Would this be to many for the coop? Im thinking the more natural light the better. I have 4 top vents the 6" x 24" and the existing window also opens. I would make new frames so all these would also open.

2. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Unless you are concerned about it being cold during the winter I don't thinkyou can have to many windows [​IMG]

Good Luck!

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I'm not sure, but I would think that more windows (especially ones you can open) would be fine. If there is too much light, you can always put curtains up. Make sure you put hardware cloth over them so nothing tears at the screen to get in!!!

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    You can't have too many windows, along with the natural sunlight they provide. Plus the added benefit of more ventilation, That you can control by opening or closing a window. Just make sure you cover them with hardware cloth screens like the other poster reccomended. And the windows are FREE, That's even better.
    Jack

5. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    I agree about it being hard to have too many windows, especially if you can open and close them. The windows in our coop are just openings screened with hardware cloth but I am making detachable panels to put over them in bad weather, kind of like hurricane shutters.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Wow, that sounds like a really nice coop for your chickens! That's a great find, too.

I have a walk-in coop with a lot of windows that open. It makes it so much more pleasant in there. It gives the coop a more light and airy feeling. The extra ventilation keeps it cooler in the summer. In the winter, when the weather is too bad and the chickens are in the coop during the day, it's also nicer for them.

They like looking out the windows, too. The windows are higher up, but they have a platform up high, so they can see outside.

We get more severe winters here than some areas, so we didn't put any windows on the north side of our coop. We usually get a big drift there. Most are on the east and west sides, to pick up the most breezes in the summer. I've also got one on the south side, along with the pop hole door.

We have hinged windows that open completely, so there's a lot of air flow. I'd worry about putting in too many windows if they didn't open, especially if the coop is in an area where it gets hot in the summer. Then it can make the coop hotter than if there weren't any windows. As long as they open, they're great.

We also have hardware cloth over the openings, secured with wood screws and washers. You can also use screws and a board. Just use something stronger than little staples, that can be pushed or pulled out by a strong raccoon. As wood gets older and dries out, it gets even easier to pull out nails and staples.

7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Ditto on never can have enough windows. Our coop has 5 that are 3' x 5', plus a front and side door that both have full lenght glazing. Lot's of light and ventilation. Can't go wrong, other than possible warming of coop issue with direct sunlight during summer. Provide shade of some sort in that event. Good luck and show us some pics.
    Erik

8. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    The coop construction is taking a little longer than I expected but I'm getting there. I have been over-thinking the layout a bit due to all the GREAT information this site provides. At this point I would say about 90 % of the coop is made form recycled material. I have only bought 2-sheets of the Hardi board siding,welded hardware screen and and a few hinges. Still Under $100 dollars total.
    First time raising chicken but having fun.

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I worried about that too, until I read here that you can't have too many. We are building a 5 x 10 coop and it will have 5 windows plus the door. I think it almost has as much window area as it does wall. We will keep the windows closed in the winter and we will have some ventilation way up at the tops of the walls.

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Think about heating as well as cooling. Where I live in North Texas, if I put glass windows on the west side of a unshaded coop, in the summertime I'd get roasted chickens, even with lots of ventilation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by