To medicate, or not to medicate...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aduckstolemyheart, Oct 30, 2010.

1. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    My drake Bella is prone to mild upper respiratory infections in fall/winter, and like clock work has started sneezing again this year about a week ago. No other symptoms, no drainage, just a sneeze. My other ducks are perfectly fine.

When I noticed he was still sneezing this morning I called our vet. She recommended putting him on Aureomycin like we did last year. Now it worked great last year, and I was glad for it, but I HATE to medicate.

And if I medicate him, that means the whole flock goes on it, and we don't get to have any of our hens yummy eggs. I keep a bag handy, just in case, so it wouldn't be a big deal to measure it out for a weeks supply and give it to them. But with only a sneeze I hesitate!

What do you guys think? Treat them or hold off?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Can you put the medication into bread crumbs and only feed him with it? That avoids treating the whole flock. Your vet should be able to give you a dosage for that.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Over medicating can reduced the bodies natural immune system over time... and also allows a virus/ bacteria to become resistant to the antibiotics- it can also mutate into a new virus which is harder to treat over time. The same basic principal of how things have happened in virus's that humans get applies to that in poultry as well.

While following the vets advise is important- I agree that medicating Bella only at this point is the safest option should go choose to go ahead with the aureomycin at this point in time.

4. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    That was my thought. I hate to medicate ANY of them, let alone the ones that don't need it.

I'll have to see if I can find some way to divide the dose like that. I have the Aureomycin 4g medicated crumbles, and it ONLY has dosage for bulk feed or per pound of food. I could always separate him if I have to or feed separately, but if I could figure out the actual daily dose and just put it in a treat as Katharinad suggested, that would be best.

I asked the vet, and she said she was not familiar enough with duck dosages of the medicated crumbles to advise on that, and that I should follow directions on the bag.

Great.

Maybe I could find a feed store that offers Aureomycin in different doses....

Edited to say: Thanks for the replies! I don't know what I would do without BYC!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It is available in powder and liquid form- it may be easier to use for a single duck if you can get your hands on either one. Also- just as a precaution as I am sure you would check anyway... but if you keep a bag on hand you should check for a use by date on what you have before using it. Being in crumble form- you wouldnt want to be using an older batch as it could do more harm than good.

6. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Bag says it's good for another 3 months. That's the first thing I checked.

However, I am leaving here in about 10 min to run to the feed store and see what I can find for him.

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] Thats good...I just thought I would mention it as some people dont think to check things like that when they are more concerned with the animal that is sick.

I always check dates of manufacture when I go to feed stores- One particular place always has the the freshest of everything and they rotate their stock..the other is a bit dodgy and I wont ever let them load my car until I have checked every bag.

8. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Still no luck. Feed store I visited today had nothing but the same crumbles. Hoping I'll have more luck tomorrow. Tonight I will mix up the crumbles and at least start him on it. Means I will have to separate him for feeding, but it will work for now.

Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by