To Miss Prissy, and all the "Hatchers" on here: Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flyman39, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Flyman39

Flyman39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    I have made a decision to increase my farm and egg production to a huge new level. I have always mostly hatched my own replacement flock with my broody hens. My plans are too large for me to do this with my broodies so I am going to go to the incubators. My question to missprissy and all the other experienced hatchers on here is what is the best incubator I can buy for my budget. My budget for the incubators will be 500.00 and I would like to have at least two that would hatch about 30 eggs in each. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

2. Flyman39

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    Bump

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    If you want two bators, I'd get the Hova Genesis (1588 with auto turners).

They have an electronic temp control, so no wafers to fiddle with, and you can get the bator with turner for around $150 each. I beleive the turners hold around 40-42 eggs.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you got the Genesis with turners (42 eggs each) then you could get three of them for that price. They do pretty well, I hear. I have a circulated air HovaBator with the turner and have hatched quite a few chicks, but I use a homemade hatcher to transfer them to on Day 18 usually. I'm bad for having staggered hatches lately, LOL.

5. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Miss Prissy would tell ya the Hova Bator 1588 with turner and get 2 for your budget. She would say buy direct from the company and give ya the link. I don't know the link but will look it up for ya GQFmfg.com I think that is it search for hova 1588

edited to say

Forgot to say ask for Chase and tell him Miss Prissy from BYC sent ya

here is the number 912-236-0651

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The best incubator is a Brinsea Octagon 40. It holds 120 quail, 80 pheasant, 48 chicken, 40 duck, or 18 goose eggs. It has a clear top that has heating bars incorporated into it to balance any heat loss, automatic egg turning, a high quality fan, a sliding flow vent and a wet bulb and an automatic temperature reader. It also comes with adjustable egg dividers. The octagon 40 is $489.00 from brinsea.com

You can also get the octagon 20 which holds 60 quail, 40 pheseant, 24 chicken, 20 duck, 9 goose, or 40 macaw eggs. The octagon 20 costs $449.00 from brinsea.com

Good Luck finding and incubator

7. bluedog

bluedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    East KY
    hi... in West Virginia.. i love my Sportsman 1502 its the best if you want to hatch A LOT OF EGGS and i always have 98 to 100 % hatch

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Hova circulated air model #1583.......

Where in WV?

9. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    The 1588!

10. Flyman39

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    Thanks to all of you. I thank you all for the replies.

Tuffoldhen I am in Mercer co. Right on the southern tip of the state. A Little place called Kegley. I PM'd You.

Now I have a few questions for you guys.

What is best a still air or a forced air?

What is the real difference in the two. I know one has a fan to circulate air and one does not. Which is best?

How do you keep track of the humidity and what does it need to be while you are incubating eggs?

With the automatic turner, how often do you have to check on the eggs? How many other things do you have to do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by