To mix or not to mix??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vichee53, Jan 29, 2013.

1. vichee53

vichee53 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    I have 4 bantam chicks that were hatched by a broody hen.We separated her and the chicks from our other hens, on Thurs31/1/13 they will be 7weeks old and I would like to put them all in with the other hens but am not sure if we should would like to hear from others who have done this and what the result was .They at the moment are still in with the mother so to speak.Should we remove her from them first or just let them all mix together ??

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] It will be better to introduce them to the rest of the flock with their mom. The flock knows their mom is one of them and will accept the chicks easier if they come with her and also, she will protect the chicks from bullying by the rest of the flock.

2 people like this.
  3. vichee53

Jan 26, 2013
    G'day thanks for the quick response I thought that but still a little wary, or I should say worried for them

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've introduced chicks with and without moms and found it's much easier when a mom comes with! She won't take nonsense from the rest of the flock and the babies would be safer with her. If you want to introduce them without mom you'll have to wait for the babies to grow up before introducing them, as it's easier when they are the same size as the rest of the flock when they have to fend for themselves. So rather do it now while they have mom to look out for them.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. As always, Sumi gives good advice.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    X3 - sumi is always right on!

8. vichee53

Jan 26, 2013
    Have another query if I put them in with the other hens altogether what happens about there food? At the moment mum and chicks have chick crumble and food scraps , and they are in the coop alltime as we are rural and the crows will get the chicks.Appreciate any thoughts and help on the matter . The other 3 hens are in a large enclosed coop.Did have them free ranging but have to watch continually for foxes so just enlaged the coop and covered it with chicken wire.They have a grain mix and weeds and table scraps. We also grow silverbeet and lettuce for them .

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can switch them to grower or an all flock feed and give the older (laying) hens oystershell free choice for calcium. They can all eat the grower/all flock feed, but the chicks must not eat layer food as the high calcium content will harm their organs. The hens will help themselves to the oystershell as and when needed.

10. vichee53

Jan 26, 2013
    Thanks for the response Sumi [​IMG] Have taken out the premium mix for my older girls and replaced it with grower pellets which is the next one after chick crumble.The bantam chicks who are now 7 weeks old still have crumble for another week. Then will replace with the grower pellets. I opened the gate so they could all mix and yes you were right mum is very protective. I am still a .little bit worried about the feed situation.When I brought the grower pellets the assistant said being 7weeks old and grower pellets are suitable for 8-9 weeks to 19 weeks that they would be ok. Am I being a panic merchant or will they be ok? Once again appreciate all the advice and help I can get [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by