To Move Chick Or not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Teresaann24, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My question is...My hen is on day 11 sitting on her eggs she has 10 days to go. Her chick of 8 weeks is still in the pen with hen and rooster. Rooster is great with the chick and always has been from the day it hatched 8 weeks ago. My question is should I remove the 8 week old chick before the eggs hatch? If i don't move him will he pick on the new hatched chicks when they hatch? He still sleeps in the nest with the hen instead of roosting on the roosting post with the rooster. The cage isnt very big was only planned for my hen and rooster but then she became broody on a lone egg and hatched it out. Still plenty of room for 1 roo 1 hen and 1 lone chick but I am do to hatch out 13 chicks I know all may not hatch but that is alot even if half hatch. Im not planning on moving them till spring of 09 i was thinking they would do better in the winter being all together. I just hate to move the chick from its momma. I have 5 other silkie chicks ranging in age from about 8 weeks to 3-4 months was wondering if i did have to move the chick would it be ok to put the chick in with the others I thought maybe at night when they couldnt see slip the chick in and everything would be ok? These are all silkie chicks any info would be great!

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    anyone have any advice?

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i would not put the baby with the older chickens

4. Ky Chicken Fan

Ky Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    My chicks that hatched in May stayed with their mom while she was sitting on her imaginary eggs, and when I finally got her a few foster eggs because I felt so sorry for her. It was so cute to see these big babies trying to get under her wings at night. When the new ones first hatched she wouldn't let the older kids sleep so close for a couple of days, but they were still right nearby.

Even though they are only 3 months old themselves they have helped her raise their "siblings". The other morning it was very cool out, and one of the babies wanted to snuggle. Mom was eating and told the kid to go away, but the older sister was willing to sit on her for a few minutes. It was too cute.

The roosters haven't bothered the kids at all, and the 2 moms and their 3 clutches of babies all get along just fine. My limited experience says that the older baby will probably be just fine with the new ones when they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by