1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

to move the eggs or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenkate17, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Two of my girls have started to lay! [​IMG] Neither of them are laying in the nesting box. I put fake eggs in there, and they prefer to lay in the run in a little nest they made for themselves.

Should I take their eggs and put them in the nesting box? Or can I just take the eggs and eat them? Will taking the eggs out delay their laying?? (My cousin told me that if they think a predator is stealing them, they might not lay consistently).

Thanks!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just collect the eggs. No it will not delay their laying more. An egg eating predator doesn't stop a hen from laying unless the hen is stressed by the predator. Since they're new to laying, give them a month or so to figure it out. You might block off the spot in the run they have been using. Or you could just let them use it.

3. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by