to much tylan 50 will they die for sure now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MMPoultryFarms, Sep 24, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I had to rush to atwoods to get some medicine. I was gonna treat my birds for respitory problems. My girl friend pipped in and said I can help you do it. (she is a nurse) I told her the dosage was 1/4 but I noticed she kept going past 1/4 I asked her what she was doing she assured me she knew. Finally I told her she was putting 1 1/4 instead of 1/4 and took the needle from her. she simply replied Oh thought you said 1 1/4 are my birds sure gonners now? please let me know so I can cull now instead of making them suffer.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Usually respiratory issues are viral so antibiotics won't do anything and I don't think you can OD on tylan even if you gave too much as I would think the "prescribed" amounts are at lowest efficacy and not max tolerance.

3. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:then how cme everyone says use tylan 50 I searched hours on forums before I rushed out and got tylan 50 and vetrx did I miss what would save em silkie?

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Antibiotics are for bacterial infections. They will not help a viral issue, however along with viruses, bacteria sometimes develops. I think this is why folks often suggest using an antibiotic. I wouldn't use it unless I knew I had a bacteria that needed resolve. IMO antiobiotics are overused and in most cases not necessary.

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    To answer your question no you did not give too much medication.... I use L.A. 200 which is far stronger and give a 1 cc to banties and 2 cc for full sized birds.... In my opinion it is far better to medicate than do nothing and let the bird die...
    As far as what it is used for it does say for respiratory right on the bottle....
    Keep us updated on how they are doing... good luck.

6. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    So if I have CRD do I just cull my whole flock? and start fresh if theres no cure for it and the birds will always be carriers? or is there some ethnical way to resolve it that I just over read or missed? I dont know what I have till the state vet gets here mond morning with the weather change from hot to cold so fast I was told could be a cold.

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:I agree 100%.

8. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Check your PMs. Give me a call tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by