To Much Veggies?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bartlett Farms, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Bartlett Farms

Bartlett Farms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    I was at a store today and the produce manger was removing cabbage, lettuce, carrots and broccoli. I asked him what would happen to this produce and his response was the dumpster. This stuff still looked edible no brown spots or wilt leaves so i asked if i could have it to feed my chickens and received about 50 pounds total. My question is can i give my chickens to much of this stuff. I currently have 140 birds that free range already (except my garden) will they just eat what they want and leave the rest. thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I really don't know the answer but I can tell you if it were me, I would feed it all!!!!!!!!!

Feed is expensive- nice free greens. Wooohooo!

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

IMHO chickens will just eat what they want and the leave the rest of it if they are used to getting that type food. If not, I'd feed them some and add more each day. It's never a good idea to change feeds too drasticly for any animal. Our's eat all our extra garden stuff every year, but we start with just whatever is ready first and add more as the garden matures and have never had anything except fat happy chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by