1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

to much veggies?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abhaya, Dec 10, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Is it possible to feed the girls too much veggies and greens? I get tons of stuff free from a local store. I put out veggies greens friut 2x weekly they eat most of it except things they dont like. Is there such a thing as too much? They are eating thier pellets too. I also have oyster shell out for them.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Unless you really don't like dark orange yolks my experience has been you can't feed too much greenfeed. The birds will eat what they want then go eat their regular ration like always.

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    cool thats what I figured but wanted to check.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Especially this time of year when theres no greens for them to get naturally, I usually give mine greens 2 times a week they love it.

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    A.T. Hagan :

Unless you really don't like dark orange yolks my experience has been you can't feed too much greenfeed. The birds will eat what they want then go eat their regular ration like always.

X2
    [​IMG]
    ON​

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    It seems to me that you could only get in trouble if the veggies were all they were all they had to eat. And, that would be especially true if the weather is cold.

Most vegetables, certainly of the green leafy types, have very few calories. And, nearly all veggies have lots of fiber that is difficult for chickens to digest. If the chickens are in the cold, these foods won't help them much in staying warm.

If the birds have a free-choice high-calorie feed, they may not eat much in the way of green veggies during cold weather anyway. They will tend to fill up on their feed. At least, this is true with my hens. I try to give a little higher calorie treats to them when it is cold.

Steve

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    You can, however mine get weak shells, so I give them some oyster shell free chocie.

8. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I have six girls and they get 1 cup or 2 of vegetables everyday. Tomato, lettuce, raspberries, green beans, or whatever is expiring in the fridge. It goes first before their feed. Its like salad with dinner [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by