To my suprise...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bgates1970, Apr 10, 2009.

1. bgates1970

bgates1970 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    2 nights ago I threw some bread and a bratwurst into the chickens run so when I let them out in the morning they would have a little treat. Anyway, yesterday morning I noticed the brat was half gone and the bread had a bite taken out of it. So I thought... oh great a Coon, Possum or weasel is thinking they have a free meal. So I setup my live havaheart trap next to the run last night with some Science Diet Oral Care (important note) dog food thinking I would catch him and either dispose or relocate the little critter.

Well at 6:30 am my wife tells me our dog is out back barking insanely toward the chicken coop. I responded with, "Alright I caught the little thief". She responds with, "Well I don't think this is exactly the thief you wanted. This one has a big black and white poofy tail." I know she was thinking you caught a skunk you big dummy. Anyway, a Skunk!

So I go look out there from a distance and sure enough a huge skunk. I had a major delima on my hands. How do I get that thing out of there. I didn't want to shoot it because it would spray while dying which is all i need with the relatives coming for easter. I even called animal control for our county and they said they don't handle live skunks. What? So I didn't want to approach it in fear of getting sprayed. So I rigged up an extension pole to attempt to open the gate on the trap. First off, how do they expect you to open those things with a skunk? Also, why do you need three hands to open them? So I'm trying to lift 3 levers with one extension pole in which i duct taped a hook on the end. I finally said, screw it... I slowly walked up to the cage while talking to myself and at times singing the star spangled banner. Which I read some where. Anyway, I walked up to the trap... opened the gate and propped a brick in the opening... then walked away. As I walked away I looked back to see it leaving.

I didn't want to kill him because skunks eat a lot of mice and other rodents. Coons, possum or weasel i would just dispose.

Questions:
    1) Will a skunk climb a 6 ft high fence?
    2) Is it bad that i forgot parts of the star spangled banner?
    3) Do you think I was too nice by feeding him good dog food which helped him with tartar control?

LOL!

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    OH MY! LOL! [​IMG] You are much braver than me!

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    1) Not sure.
    2) You were understandably distracted. Can you remember all the words now?
    3) I'd quit leaving treats out after dark. No telling what gourmet victuals the skunk expects now...

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Lovin' this [​IMG]

5. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I love this! [​IMG] I am trying to trap whatever is trying to get my chickens and this is my worst nightmare, that I will catch a skunk. Ok now I will be more prepared!

1. I will try the long pole thing first.
    2. If I have to go up to the trap I will practice the Star Spangled Banner first!
    3. Skunks like tatar control dog food, in case I need to catch one [​IMG]

I just know I will catch one and I won't be as lucky as you! I will be the one posting on here about how to get rid of skunk smell! [​IMG]

6. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Skunks are notorious carriers of rabies. They do eat some bugs and small mammals, but their main diet at this time of year is eggs of ground-nesting birds, like pheasants, ducks, geese, meadowlarks, killdeers, and any other nests that they might find. They also eat many baby birds if they can catch them. In some states, it is illegal to relocate skunks because of the danger of spreading rabies. I hope that next time, you will dispatch any skunks that you might catch. If you shoot them through the lungs with a solid nose, .22 short, they usually will not spray. This little bullet passes through the lungs, and they will drown in their own blood in a few minutes. It sometimes takes up to 15 - 20 minutes.

7. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG] do one brave thing and run like the wind [​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Ol'FashionHen :

[​IMG] do one brave thing and run like the wind [​IMG]

While running upwind just in case....​

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:Not a humane way to die, IMO. There will be no dispatching of skunks around here unless one is injured and cannot be helped by veterinary care. [​IMG]

10. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    crtrlovr: Rabies isn't a very humane way to die either. I've seen many skunks, and several coons in their final stages of the disease, and it isn't pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by