To nurse along or cull? please help decide

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StupidBird, Sep 19, 2011.

1. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    can't photo - hen is in arm wrapped in bath towel .
    picked up one of the fugly sisters - problematic, 2 yo rescues - to see how doing. found 2-2,5 inch slash under wimg. no blood. dirt or scab and dirt. soaked with wet warm cloth and later as soft hosed gentle warm water.

bird is very active. no sign maggots or pus. she does not want to be held, as usual. no apparent temp/fever.

will saturate with plain ointment, wrap, and keep isolated.

2. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Ok. Got the hen in a frig box outfitted with towel, a handful of feed and the chick waterer with vitamin drops. Hen poops just fine (I've washed the floor, stuffed the curtains in the washer, and will scrub the whole room later).

I checked the coop/roost area. There is an artful splattering of blood in one section. And I found two protruding screw heads the bird might have managed to somehow get on.

I am a bad chicken mama.

3. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    I suspect she will recover fine. I wouldn't cull unless she's acting like she's getting a lot worse.

4. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't cull at this point....as long as there is no infection and she is eating, drinking and pooping well....

5. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Thanks.

I found it surprising how shocked I was at the wound. Even though it just seeped a few drops when I cleaned it. Ick ick poor baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by