To Paint interior or not??

Vickilynn45

Songster
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
How many of you painted your coop interior, and does it really make a difference in cleaning, etc.?? If you did, what type of paint??

i have not painted mine and i dont see what the difference would be :p
I have just read a few posts in the past of people painting the interiors with a glossier paint and that it helps to be able wash down the walls now and then. I didn't know if it was really necessary and if not, it would save me time and money. :)

It is really up to you. Paint can seal the wood, making it easier to clean, less likely to harbor pests, and brighter (depending on the color you choose). But your chickens won't care one way or the other.

KJF

Did not paint b/c birds peck and I didn't want them eating paint. Also, painting is more work. OK, mostly it was the more work bit.

My girls are messy things but I have yet to need to wash down walls. Maybe they are not partying hard enough!

Did not paint b/c birds peck and I didn't want them eating paint. Also, painting is more work. OK, mostly it was the more work bit.

My girls are messy things but I have yet to need to wash down walls. Maybe they are not partying hard enough!
yuckyuck.gif

I'm leaning towards the not painting side. :) Right now with my mother-in-laws broken neck and needing so much care, I'm thinking the less work the better!!

We painted the inside of teh coop flat white. This will allow for a lower wattage bulb to maintain proper lighting for extended layer management during the winter months, the lower wattage bulb is also energy efficient.

The Egg Boxes were painted Chocolate Brown...this makes the egg boxes appear a little darker and more inviting to the hens when they are looking to lay their eggs. I want eggs in the Egg Boxes.

Last edited:
Oh yes, we painted the interior - and it was certainly more work, but worth it.

First and foremost: Unpainted wood will "soak in" odors.

Secondly: It definitely makes it brighter and more cheerful inside.

Last but not least: It looks fabulous when it's done. A great sense of accomplishment!

Yes it is totally easier to wash, but my hen's closest roost is 18" from the wall so we have nothing to clean off.

We used 1 coat of exterior primer on everything inside. Then high gloss exterior latex paint, 2 coats and some areas 3 coats.

On a side note, if you have personal issues going on ~ painting is very relaxing and a good quiet get-away that will only take an hour or two for a few days.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom