To paint or not to paint inside of nest box?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frog522, Aug 13, 2010.

1. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Finally going to paint today! I can't believe the coop I have been working on has taken 2 1/2 months...but finally get to put on primer today! (It's only 4'x4'...I must be the slowest builder on earth...)

I'm planning on painting the inside of the coop semi-gloss white. Right now the nest boxes are unpainted plywood inside. Can I go ahead and prime and paint the inside of the nest boxes semi-gloss white? I have read that hens like dark (secluded) areas to lay. For me it would be easier to clean to have it semi-gloss but to save from having to buy another can of dark paint just for the nest box, will white do?

Is there any possibility that my hens will refuse to use the nest box if the paint color is too light?? [​IMG]

2. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Paint it. Several coats worth. White will do. Your birds won't refuse to lay because of the color.
    You'll thank me the first time your have to clean it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    paint, paint you r going to fill with bedding anyways

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I don't paint the interior or the nest boxes because I think the hens feel more secure when it is a little darker. I place the nest boxes in the darkest corner of the coop. But to each their own. I'm sure others have had great success painting everything.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I was taught not to paint the nest boxes or the roost poles. I didn't and its been fine for over 15 years (See my BYC page)

6. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    painting it will be fine but its prob best if u dont they like it dark plus they could peck at the paint and eat it which could make them sick and make their eggs go bad

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Just a paint reminder: Construction grade is good paint and it costs less. The down side is that are you limited as to choice of colors, but I'd like white for my nest boxes.
    I have to politely disagree with darkmatter on painting the nest boxes. Every place my birds go needs to be cleaned, and it will be easier to clean a painted piece of wood than to clean an unpainted or untreated piece. Just MHO. [​IMG]

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Paint can help seal the wood and the seams in the box so mites have fewer places to hide.

9. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Quote:Does this go for the roost bar too? I was leaning towards painting everything except the roost bar.

10. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I used spar varnish for the inside of mine. I figured the chickens wouldn't be as tempted to peck it, although I am a chicken noobie and based that on nothing really. I also was thinking of cleanlieness when I decided to paint mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by