To paint or not to paint the inside of my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hollophil, Mar 18, 2009.

1. hollophil

hollophil Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Bend, Oregon
    Hi Everyone,

Getting my first chickens ever next week and am in the process of building the coop. Should I paint the interior or not?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Welcome from Indiana... [​IMG]

We painted ours but I think it's up to you, unless there are things they can peck at that wouldn't be good for them.

3. PQ4evr

PQ4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Bellville Ohio
    I read its easier to clean. I have a cpl of gallons of leftover latex paint I am gonna paint the whole inside and lay linoluem tiles. please excuse the spelling

4. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I painted mine to make it brighter and primed the floor for the tile to stick better but as soon as it got cold out the tile came up one by one. Look into a glue/primer for stick on tiles (home depot) to save you money & work in the long run

5. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Yes it is easier to clean.... use caulk too! If you seal all of the seams... poo dosen't get in them. Very important!!!

6. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Mine's painted.
    I polyurethaned the floor.

7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    We did, because I figured it would help protect the wood a little better than no paint.

8. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I didn't paint mine but been thinking about doing it and I put vinyl down on the floor.

9. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I think painting would be a great idea

10. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I would paint it. My suggestion is get exterior paint, so you can get a toilet brush and a hose and clean it good every few months. Also, it helps see walls from the poop that always ends up EVERYWHERE. If you want to save money, go to a paint place and get mistinted paint. It's cheap and usually aren't THAT bad of colors. I am painting my coop when I get it done. I am going to select my color and have a whole chicky theme going on LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by