to paint or not to paint

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by buddymc, Apr 10, 2011.

1. buddymc

buddymc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    First coop... getting close to being done.

Does painting the inside of the coop really help with keeping it clean? Is it worth the time / expense? Seems that chickens are pretty dirty, in the long run the coop will still get dirty, so should I bother?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yes, it'll still get dirty.

But painted walls and floors sure makes that washing easier.

[​IMG]

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

PAINT! It also helps to seal the wood against moisture and seals up some of those little spaces that bugs can hide in. Make sure to use a semi gloss or gloss paint. Check the "oops" paint at your local store ~ you can find some really interesting colors there. I picked up a quart of bright lipstick pink for my nest boxes. Paint is a color you like ~ the chickens won't care!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. wes910

wes910 New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    I love the Opps section i often pick up paint even if not need. For 2 bucks what the heck

5. bantamboy

bantamboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    i have my bantam coop painted bright red like a barn yes it still gets dirty sometimes but easy to clean, my dad never painted his and even though he used treated wood its still starting to rot after a few years and he is constantly replacing boards on the coop but mine is nice and new still inside and out and no to mention very very bright red just like a barn and has a tin roof

6. CrazyCatLady76

CrazyCatLady76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hazard
    Where do you find the oops paint? Is it out somewhere that I've just never noticed, or do you have to ask someone at the counter?

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

The stores I go to usually have it near the paint counter on a shelf. You could just ask if they have any. They may call them "mis-tints"

8. buddymc

buddymc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Okay.. so paint seems to get a big YES!

With my vinyl floor and painted interior, plus the back door with no "lip" at the bottom, it should hopefully make for easier cleaning.

Got all the framing done today!! Tomorrow gonna start trying to put on the siding and roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by