to paint or seal...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yellowirenut, Feb 23, 2012.

1. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Buying the lumber and all that this weekend for the new coop.

I am going to use T1-11 sheeting for the exterior. Instead of paint or stain I was thinking of using Thompson water seal. Has anyone used it on T1-11?
    If so how did it hold up? I am assuming its going to take on that natural Grey color in a few years even with the sealant.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I didn't know what it was, so I looked it up. The article I read recommended priming and painting. But again, I don't have experience with it...

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    IMO Thomson "Water Seal" isn't worth the money you pay for it. If it was me I would put one good coat of primer and two coats of paint on it, the primer and paint will do a far better job protecting the wood than Thomson "Water Seal".

Chris

4. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    I have used Thompson's a few times. Although it is reasonably priced for what is supposed to do, I have not been very impressed with the performance. I suppose if you reapplied it every year, it would hold up, but who has the time (and $$$) for that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by