To people who own Chickens AND PIGS :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarnChickyOO, Dec 28, 2013.

1. BarnChickyOO

BarnChickyOO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    I know that this isn't exactly the best spot to do this, but whatever. ;) I figure that most people who own chickens also own some other type of farm animal.

We are planning on raising a couple of feeder pigs in the spring, and want to build there pen into the back of the chicken coop, as we can then run an electric fence directly from the coop.

Pigs and chickens (kind of) co-habituating. Good idea?

Also, I know that this is a chicken site, but if anyone has any pig-rearing-or-housing advice, it would be MUCH appreciated. :D

ALSO: Will the pigs eat my chickens if they get in the pen? Please help.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. GreenSahara

GreenSahara Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    VA
    Hello, we have pigs. Our feeder pigs do not have any shelter, they live on an acre of woods inside two strands of high-tensile fencing. Our breeding hogs do have a small shelter, mostly for farrowing in bad weather. Pigs are very hearty animals! :)

As to the pigs being with the chickens, I don't know. I think they would probably get along pretty well, but I have heard of young energetic hogs making a snack out of chickens (if they can catch them).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    Thank you for the input!!

Do they escape much?
    Also, do you have to vaccinate the feeder pigs against anything even though they're only around about 6 months?

Thank you so much!

4. GreenSahara

GreenSahara Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    VA
    The pigs stay in as long as the fence is hot. :) We do not vaccinate any of our pigs. Like I said they are very hearty animals! We currently have over thirty and we have been doing hogs for 6 years or so. We have only lost one to disease, and it was related to an infected castration wound.

5. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    Ok. Thank you so much! I will probably bring mine to a couple of shows, so they will need vaccinations for that. I was just wondering in general.

Thank you so much. :)

6. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    In my expereince they WILL NOT get along. The pigs will eat them if they get a chance. Back in 1970 thought it would be cool to raise our own hogs and since we had a very large chicken house, just put them in there with an outside pen. The chickens had free range thru the chicken house and the outdoors. Soon the flock started to delcine in numbers without a trace of any preadators, no feathers, no bodies, nothing. Just dissapearing. Everynight until the flock was consumed and then we finally caught them eating them off the roost. I would not put them together.

7. slatts

slatts Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    I've been around farms all my life and have never seen chickens and pigs ranging the same enclosure. I have seen a feral hog eat a skunk so I have no doubt a farm hog might eat a chicken.

8. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    The pig pen will be about 15 ft from the chicken house, and the fence will be electrified. Do you think it would still be an issue???? :/

9. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    You should be fine as you'll have them seperated. My bad mistake back thenwas having them together at night thinking the pigs wouldn't bother the hens.

10. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    Thanks for all your help!

I'm really excited to see how everything works out! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by