To perch or not to perch?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Siry B, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Siry B

Siry B Just Hatched

Dec 28, 2013
    Just getting the coop ready. Do I need a perch for the meat chickens??

2. GreenSahara

GreenSahara Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    VA
    I raise a couple hundred a year and I do not give them a perch.

1 person likes this.
  3. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Some folks actually recommend that the CX not have a roost, because of their susceptibility to leg problems, My Red Rangers had roosts, but didn't use them. They seemed to prefer to just stay on the ground at night.

1 person likes this.
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Mine loved perching and would even fly up to perch on the top of my water bucket(3 1/2 ft off the floor). I built some wide, hammock type roosts to accommodate their balance and bodies and they loved them. The goal is to raise chickens that don't have leg problems in the first place.

Raised 50 last spring with these roosts. Seemed to keep them cleaner and cooler in the summer heat. These aren't very tall but they definitely preferred these to sleeping on the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Our FR's roosted in both the summer heat and deep cold of the fall (2 batches at different seasons).

Our CX never did roost, but did like a low-slung downed branch to 'hang out on' during the daytime....funny to see such large chickens trying to jostle for the 'best' place on the branch!

I like Beekissed 'hammock' idea. Might have to try that with this batch of Colored Rangers I'm just starting. They're only 1 wk old, so I have a week to build something like this!

1 person likes this.
  6. Mtnmomma3

Mtnmomma3 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    We built a coop, no perch in the nesting box but one in the open. They sleep on the perch, out in the open rather than in the warm nesting box.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by