To Produce Chamois Sebright, is Chamois Cockeral or hen better?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bantam Username, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I can only get chamois sebright eggs from one source so I can't keep a cockeral and a hen, I am, also getting gold sebrights and silver sebrights. In order to produce more chamois, would it be better to have a chamois hen with a gold or silver cockeral or would a chamois cockeral be better with gold or silver hen?
    Bit confused here. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Chamois x Gold. Doesn't matter the gender. [​IMG]

Chamois x Silver produces more silver or "golden" offspring which you wouldn't want. Silver female means you get sexlinked offspring, males are useless but females are useful.

3. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    I would keep your gold hens to breed your chamois to.
    The gold would give you better type.

It would also help from time to time as far as keeping a good buff color. You don't want your chamois getting too light on you.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Why Not... Let me guess Inbreeding depression? I would rather let them breed, you wont notice inbreeding depression for years to come and you can always cull against that also...

just enjoy them now that you have a thing for them, you would be better of than trying to get back at type and color that alone will take a few years...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by