1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To refrigerate or to not refrigerate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Mar 10, 2016.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    I just wanted to know what everyone does with their eggs they get! Do you refrigerate them or do you leave them on your kitchen counter?

I refrigerate mine[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    As a general rule, it they have been washed, they need refrigeration. If unwashed, they don't.

1 person likes this.
  3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I do not wash mine and put them in a basket on the kitchen counter.

That being said my eggs don't last more than a week. They are either eaten or sold.

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

Same here.

5. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    Mine go straight from the nest box to an egg carton on the countertop.

6. sawilliams

sawilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Mine go into the garage refrigerator, it makes it easy on the kids if they are getting the eggs. No dots to go through so less chance of dropping or damaging. I wash them when I bring then inside. Well, rinse really luke warm water just to make sure there is no debris. Then into the inside fridge. Again for me it really has to do with the kids if they are helping to cook and drop egg shell in a bowl I don't want to worry about if I have to throw everything in the bowl out or not. I haven't decided if we will still wash and refrigerate them in a few more months once we get into an egg routine. But for now I've only had chickens for about 4 months (got them as pullets) and only last week did the last of my 6 start laying. Up until about 2 months ago I was still buying store eggs to offset production. Once I have a better idea of how many I'll average a week and, how many I need to take to my mom and how many extra I can sell to friends I'll be better able to plan ahead and can possibly start counter top storing them. But then for my house we also don't always use a lot of eggs except weekend breakfasts so sometimes some of those eggs are in my fridge nearly 2 weeks.

7. sbct172

sbct172 New Egg

Mar 5, 2016
    Same here. After we collect them they sometimes sit out for a few days. But if bloom is washed off they go in fridge but we eat them fast

8. 45ishChickenMom

45ishChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    I haven't bought eggs since October. I collect the eggs and rinse them off after a couple days. Then I use warm mineral oil to coat them. They stay on the counter. No one has gotten sick yet!

9. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

I never refrigerate my chicken eggs, but always refrigerate my duck eggs if they aren't being used up within the week. For some reason they seem to spoil a whole lot faster. Usually I sell my chicken eggs within 2-3 days of them being layed, but pretty sure none of my clients refrigerate them either! No need if they're super fresh! [​IMG]

10. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey

What does the mineral oil do? That's interesting, I have never heard of anyone doing that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by