To refurbish old 1602n or start over?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mistymac, Feb 27, 2017.

1. mistymac

mistymac Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2016
    Central New Mexico
    I have an old Hovabator 1602N that was my father in laws. It's been in storage for years and we decided to to get it up and running again.

We've had it on for a couple of days and cannot get the temperature to stabilize [​IMG] Went to bed and it was reading 100 hubby said his am it was at 95. Via a Brinsea spot check.

So I need some advice! I've never hatched before but want to maximize my hatch rate. Should I buy a new wafer and possibly a fan, or just upgrade and go with a new genesis?

Or are there some other brands/models out there I should consider?

TIA!

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi - I had that model and after much frustration trying to stabilize the temperature, I returned it and got a Genesis. Temperature fluctuations no more! I use mine mostly as a hatcher, but I think it's definitely worth the difference in cost between it and the 1602N.

I also use a Brinsea Advance 20 and have been pleased with it. It doesn't hold as many eggs as the Genesis, but it's very dependable. [​IMG]

3. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    Since it's old and has been in storage, chances are it needs a new wafer thermostat.
    You can take it out and shake it. You should here liquid in it. It there is no sound, or if it sounds like there are chunks in it, replace it.
    They're not expensive and it's an easy fix.

4. mistymac

mistymac Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2016
    Central New Mexico
    So, I think I may just buy a new one.

BUT I'm seeing from Incubator Warehouse there are two options and I'm not sure what's best!
    1. Hovabator Genesis 1588 w/ auto turner = $199 ish
    2. Hovabator 1602N w/ circulated fan installed and auto turner = $155

in these configurations, is the Genesis still THAT MUCH BETTER? I mean once a fan is installed? Is the $45 difference just for better temperature control?

5. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    Much better. The heat source and fan is one unit. Electronic control of the heater is much better.
    I've got 2 of the Genesis units that I use as hatchers.

You'll still need to get a supplemental thermometer/hydrometer like the Incu-therm because the incubator sensors are at the top near the heater/fan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by