sian123

Hatching
Sep 24, 2019
Hi all,

I have owned two silkie chickens (Dolly and Elvis) for the past 10 years but unfortunately today Elvis was put down. Obviously the two were very close and I'm lost as to what I should do with poor Dolly. As she is 10 years old I think that rehoming might be a bit too stressful for her, but I also don't want her to be lonely either..
Getting more chickens isn't really an option either as evidently we will be stuck in the same position a few years later.

What do you advise? Thank you.

I would ask around if anyone has an older chicken they want to rehome. If not, you could maybe keep her as a house chicken? It’s possible she could live for another couple of years, so I don’t think you’ll get anyone willing to lend you a chicken, especially due to disease risk.

We have two large, crazy dogs and a cat that are indoors, Dolly would probably have a heart attack. So I don't think it's really a viable option.

If you can’t keep more chickens and can’t keep her inside, then I’d look at rehoming her. There are many kind people who will happily cater to her needs. I’m not sure what else you could do.

If you can’t keep more chickens and can’t keep her inside, then I’d look at rehoming her. There are many kind people who will happily cater to her needs. I’m not sure what else you could do.
Yeah I think that might be what I'll have to do, as much as it will break my heart to part with her. I just don't know what is better for her; letting her live out her life in the place she knows and is comfortable, but is lonely or giving her up to another place that she doesn't know but has a friend.. Thank you for your advice

Yeah I think that might be what I'll have to do, as much as it will break my heart to part with her. I just don't know what is better for her; letting her live out her life in the place she knows and is comfortable, but is lonely or giving her up to another place that she doesn't know but has a friend.. Thank you for your advice

No problem. Hope you’re able to decide on what works both of you :hugs

I would ask around if anyone has an older chicken they want to rehome. If not, you could maybe keep her as a house chicken? It’s possible she could live for another couple of years, so I don’t think you’ll get anyone willing to lend you a chicken, especially due to disease risk.
Thank you for replying. I understand where you are coming from, but then it just puts us in the same predicament once one of them passes away.. I would rather avoid doing this twice as it's so hard to watch them without their best friend :(

Thank you for replying. I understand where you are coming from, but then it just puts us in the same predicament once one of them passes away.. I would rather avoid doing this twice as it's so hard to watch them without their best friend :(

Which is why I also suggested just keeping her as an indoor chicken. If you don’t want anymore birds, that’s all you can really do. Unless you rehome her.

Back
Top Bottom