to remove or not to remove

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LeoneB, Sep 3, 2014.

1. LeoneB

LeoneB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    So, after all my waiting and waiting and anxiousness I have had a hatch - yes ONE egg hatched a couple of hours ago now. So do I leave him/her all alone in the incubator with the unhatched eggs, or do I remove him/her to another heated box?
    This being a chicken mum is hard work!

thanks
    Leone

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Congrats on your first chick.:jumpy. Leave the chick in the incubator it can survive without food and water for upto 3 days it will live off the yolk sac it has absorbed during hatching. Also it will encourage your others to hatch they will chirp at each other. I leave mine in until hatch is over and every one has dried and fluffed up before moving them to brooder box with food and water. This can sometimes be 24 hours plus. Good luck with the rest of your hatch.:fl

3. LeoneB

Aug 28, 2014
    what about water, should i have some in there?

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi, no no water in there the chick gets everything it needs from the yolk it has absorbed. Trust me it will be fine left in the incubator. Plus opening the incubator during hatch plays havoc with the humidity and you need to keep your humidity up so that it does not compromise your other eggs. I leave mine in and sometimes the incubator looks fit to burst to with chicks blundering around!!!

5. Tatianna

Tatianna Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Northern New Hampshire
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    I tried my first hatch and I miscarried everyone[​IMG]
    I was so sad, you did a great job! Enjoy the babies!

6. LeoneB

Aug 28, 2014
    Sorry you lost all yours. How many eggs did you have?

7. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    congrats on the new baby! I set 6 eggs and lost all of mine as well, attempting my second batch now due the 24th this time we are doing 12.

8. LeoneB

Aug 28, 2014
    so on day 22 we got one chic. Day 24, after reading all about assisted hatching, I decided to double check all eggs.. there were half a dozen that, when candled, had internal pips and I could hear cheeping. But still nothing happening.
    I decided to help one of the eggs along, so step by step I followed "Sunshine Sally's" instructions. All appears to be going fine. I put the egg, with the beak sticking out of the internal membrane back in the incubator on a damp paper towel to wait it out.
    You would not believe it, not half hour after putting the "helped egg" back in the incubator, another egg pipped... then half hour after that another egg pipped (this is all on day 24 mind you).
    So, as per instructions I left the incubator closed, and kept the humidity up. Before we went to bed last night, had a check on the incubator and there were 2 more chickens [​IMG] One from the "2nd" pipped egg, and one from another egg that I hadn't even noticed had pipped.. This morning on checking, there was 1 more.. So I now have 4 babies, with the "assisted" egg, still to hatch (baby is still alive and cheeping, just not coming out to play yet), plus another pipped egg..

So much for it all happening on day 21, mine are all a bit slow and making an appearance on days 24 and 25..

Hopefully by the end of the day today, I will have more of an update on more hatchings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by