To roo or not to roo, THAT is the question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kristy7458, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Kristy7458

Kristy7458 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2009
    Whitely homestead
    I am admittedly not a chicken mommy yet [​IMG] , but had some when I was a kid. I am so obsessed with having some silkies and Easter eggers that I am basing my house hunt partly on where I can raise them comfortably. Aywho, I am going to eat the eggs (of course), but I wonder if having a rooster will change how I have to collect the eggs, or do I have to seperate the roo from the hens if I want to eat them (again... the eggs [​IMG] )? How will I know if an egg is fertilized [​IMG] ? Does it make a difference? Should I go rooless?[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Does your neighborhood except crowing? If so I would get a roo. My roos protect their ladies and they are so funny! I vote get a roo!! Unless your neighborhood doesn't allow it.

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Roos are too cute and as long as crowing is not a problem it's ok. They have nothing to do with eating the eggs. The eggs will taste the same either way.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    First [​IMG]!

Secondly, I agree with Maxx-I absolutely love my roos-get one if you can keep it in your area!

5. Kristy7458

Aug 25, 2009
    Whitely homestead
    Quote:looking at house in the contry right now, 4 acres, but what about the EGGS

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Fertile eggs are edible - some folks seek them out on purpose. There are pics somewhere on the forum of fertile vs. non-fertile eggs. Fertile ones have a white spot with a ring around it that resembles a bull's eye.

7. Kristy7458

Aug 25, 2009
    Whitely homestead
    Quote:What's the timespan between fertilization and breakfast, should I just refrigerate as soon as possible? [​IMG]

8. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Definitely not a problem...you can keep them together and still eat the eggs. There are really good pics on here of fertilized vs unfertilized eggs...maybe someone knows where they are???

The yolk will have a little white dot if it is unfertilized, fertilized will have a dot and usually look like there's a ring around it, like a bullseye.

9. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:What's the timespan between fertilization and breakfast, should I just refrigerate as soon as possible? [​IMG]

They won't grow chicks unless you stick them in an incubator or put them under a broody hen, so they're perfectly safe to eat [​IMG]

10. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    I'm with every one else. I just added a roo to my bunch a few weeks ago. No difference at all between fertile and unfertile eggs taste or nutrition wise. As was already stated you have to heat them up for the babies to begin developing. If they are never heated they never become anything more than just an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by