To roo or not to roo, THAT is the question

Kristy7458

Chirping
14 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Whitely homestead
I am admittedly not a chicken mommy yet
sad.png
, but had some when I was a kid. I am so obsessed with having some silkies and Easter eggers that I am basing my house hunt partly on where I can raise them comfortably. Aywho, I am going to eat the eggs (of course), but I wonder if having a rooster will change how I have to collect the eggs, or do I have to seperate the roo from the hens if I want to eat them (again... the eggs
big_smile.png
)? How will I know if an egg is fertilized
wink.png
? Does it make a difference? Should I go rooless?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Does your neighborhood except crowing? If so I would get a roo. My roos protect their ladies and they are so funny! I vote get a roo!! Unless your neighborhood doesn't allow it.

First
welcome-byc.gif
!

Secondly, I agree with Maxx-I absolutely love my roos-get one if you can keep it in your area!

Fertile eggs are edible - some folks seek them out on purpose. There are pics somewhere on the forum of fertile vs. non-fertile eggs. Fertile ones have a white spot with a ring around it that resembles a bull's eye.

Definitely not a problem...you can keep them together and still eat the eggs. There are really good pics on here of fertilized vs unfertilized eggs...maybe someone knows where they are???

The yolk will have a little white dot if it is unfertilized, fertilized will have a dot and usually look like there's a ring around it, like a bullseye.

Quote:
What's the timespan between fertilization and breakfast, should I just refrigerate as soon as possible?
jumpy.gif

They won't grow chicks unless you stick them in an incubator or put them under a broody hen, so they're perfectly safe to eat
smile.png

I'm with every one else. I just added a roo to my bunch a few weeks ago. No difference at all between fertile and unfertile eggs taste or nutrition wise. As was already stated you have to heat them up for the babies to begin developing. If they are never heated they never become anything more than just an egg.

Back
Top Bottom