To ROO or not To ROO? That is the Question

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
In my first wave of Pullets I got a BR Roo. He was friendly and gorgeous. But he woke me up everyday at 4:30 and continued crowing constantly throughout the day.

I gave him to a man down the road who lets him free range ( I have an enclosed run ). But, he is a loner. This man has many other roo's, hens and various animals and Rocky free ranges but will have nothing to do with the other roo's or hens.

I see him often from the road and he is just a beautiful boy and I know I could get him back if I wanted.

In the meantime my new neighbor has a roo that ......guess what.........wakes me up every morning anyway.

I am wondering now if I should have kept him. He came with 5 other assorted pullets and I am thinking he misses them. I wonder if he could handle being in a run after free ranging.

Any Opinions?

Thanx

Well, I can tell you from what I have seen here. I have had hens/roos who were raised together and I put them in with the big hens together when they are larger. They hang out together and never leave each others sights! The first three hens I put in with the big girls STILL hang out together and go everywhere together (they are 18 weeks old now). When one gets separated from the others they CRY AND CRY until they find each other. It's so sweet...so yes, I believe he misses them
sad.png
I think you should get him back
wink.png

Last edited:
But can a Roo who has been a free man be in an enclosed run again? Plus now I have 40 more hens. Depending on the concensus here I could get him back easily.

Quote:
If I HAVE to wake up that early I might as well get my old alarm clock back.........why use the new neighbors. Plus I might get some chicks out of the deal.......but yes, I have missed Rocky.

He may or he may or he may not. I know my birds cannot stand to be cooped up. I've also heard of stores of birds making a rukus and pacing after getting freedom and being cooped. You can try though, since if it doesnt work out, he could always go back down the street.

Back
Top Bottom