To roo or not to roo? Will I rue the roo? From Roux...

Roux

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Middle of Nowhere, Iowa
Ok, I've officially gone off the deep end & have 25 pullets heading this way this spring. The plans for the coop addition are in full swing...and I'm absolutely addicted!
big_smile.png

I'm debating over whether or not I should add a roo to my upcoming order & have narrowed it down to either a Salmon Faverolle or a Light Brahma. Part of me wants a handsome, stately fellow hanging out in the yard with my girls. I know I don't *need* one, but it's just so tempting...

Yays? Nays? Advice? My other half is concerned because he doesn't like the idea of potentially eating fertile eggs...if I'm pulling them daily, is this going to be a huge deal in terms of development? I'm not really looking to breed my chickens & just enjoy having them around for their winsome ways (not to mention the eggs), and I just don't want to add a rooster to the mix if he's going to be unhappy for any reason.

SO in love with these birds...at this point I can't figure out why we didn't get them SOONER!
big_smile.png

Thanks in advance...

I, personally would get a roo. In fact I plan on it this spring. They are beautiful, and personally I like hearing them crow. As far as eating fertilized eggs--I wouldn't worry about it- as longas you collect the eggs daily. And I wouldn't think that he would be unhappy.

Just my two cents...

I'm pro-roo.
big_smile.png
You can't tell if their fertile by the taste and you have to look really closely to see if they are fertile. I'd get the Faverolle...just because I like the looks of most anything bearded.

I vote get a roo ! we have a little banty roo and I LOVE HIM
love.gif
he is so fun to watch with his "fullsized girls " - the crowing is not a big problem I love to hear him , he is VERY protective of HIS yard, and everynight he is stands in the coop and tells the girls it is time for bed.

I think your girls would love a handsome guy to watch over them and protect them.

Julie

I didn't want a roo at all but one of my "hens" crowed and I was stuck with the decision on whether or not to keep him. I decided to just see "how it goes" and give him a chance. He does crow a lot now but he has also saved my girls from a hawk and when my dog got into the pen, the rooster chased them all out and hid them under a bush and kept them safe. There are benefits for sure. They are very protective and always pay attention to whats going on. If he ever turns mean I won't keep him, but for now he is very welcomed here. So, my vote is yes. Give it a try, you can always re home him if it doesn't work out.

Yep, I would say it's more fun when you have a roo with the girls. The fertile eggs are the same quality eggs for eating as un-fertile are. There won't be any chick development unless a hen is broody to incubate them. I'm sure you ate alot of fertile eggs and didn't know it.
Even though you ordered only pullets, with only 95% accuracy when sexing...you could easily end up with one anyway, it's fairly common and expected.

bigzio

Done! I added a Salmon Faverolle roo to my order.
big_smile.png
I just loooove the way they look. The rest of my order is pullet pairs & trios of a variety of breeds (different colored eggs), so hopefully they'll be fairly accurate on the sexing.

Y'all are such enablers.
smile.png
(observation, not complaint)
wink.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
ROUX - you're so EASY - BOOM you got chickens - BOOM you getting more and now BOOM you added a roo -
gig.gif

Just make that coop HUGE - there is no doubt in my mind you'll be getting MORE.

honestly - you can't tell the difference between a fertile and not egg.............. they all taste YUMMY!!!

Do you have a silkie yet?
gig.gif

Ordering all pullets usually gives you a roo or two anyway. You may end up with more than the one you ordered on purpose. (My order of 25 pullets turned up two roos.)

Back
Top Bottom