To Roo Or not to Roo

trooper

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Staunton,Va
old.gif
idunno.gif
I have 7 hens and I had 1 rooster.He died unexpectedly about 3 weeks ago.Yesterday I was talking to a Lady that I work with about chickens and she has had them a few years more Than I have.I've had them about 2 years.She told me that she didn't have a rooster because it slowed her egg production down.She says that a Rooster puts stress on hens and that hinders production.I was wondering if there is any fact to this.I do miss my Rooster and I'd like to get another one,but not if there is any truth to this.With the weather like it is right now they aren't laying regular.Anyone know!!
idunno.gif

I was researching roosters a few minutes ago and read an article that made the opposite claim-- that a rooster actually enhances egg production.

Last year I didn't have roosters, but this year I do. I do know that my hens have started laying a full month earlier in the presence of roosters than they did without roosters.

It is my feeling that the presence of roosters results in the hens laying more frequently. My young hens aren't yet 20 weeks old, and at least 2 of the 3 of them have already been laying eggs for some time now. The third may be, too, but I haven't found her eggs yet.

The article I read also claimed that hens are happier with a rooster around. I'm sure it depends on the temperament of the rooster. But it would make sense, since roosters keep predators at bay and are probably a comfort to the hens.

I love the sound of a rooster crowing, too. I had 3 roosters and they all crowed at the same time, and I was worried the neighbors would get mad.

But now I just have the one, and he sleeps in the solarium, which helps muffle the sound in the early morning, before I let him outside, so I'm in hopes the neighbors won't be too bothered. He doesn't crow as frequently as the others, although he does have a loud shrill crow. He began crowing at a very precocious age. I think it's because he ate all the nice plants in my solarium, totally stripped them, and all that vegetation was good for his development. HAHA.

He's Mr. Personality. I love him. When he was younger he liked to fly up on my head and perch there. Today he flew up onto my back, which he hadn't done for some time. I am always flattered when he flies up onto my lap, back, or head. It seems like quite a compliment. He's my little boy. I raised him from a chick. His StepMama almost pecked him to death when he was born, so I had to raise him inside the house, and we bonded. But now he's finally been accepted by the outdoor flock and his gaining his independence.

There are two types of people in the world: rooster lovers and rooster haters. You will get responses to your question from both camps...

However, roosters CAN stress out hens which adversely effects laying production. Too many roosters for the number of hens, for example, causes "over-mating" which can really stress out a hen or few. Plus there's the feather loss on their backs from too many or a too rough rooster treading their backs.

But a well-balanced flock usually doesn't experience those problems.

If you don't like fertilized eggs, you won't want a rooster. (If so, there's also something odd about your beliefs because there is NO difference in taste or nutrition between fertile or non-fertilized eggs.)

If you don't want chicks, you have to gather eggs - even from broody hens. It's not necessary to deny yourself the pleasure of having a rooster in your flock. But someone might try to tell you so.

A rooster stops hen squabbles. He keeps his eye out for danger and warns them with a danger call, followed up by the all clear call when its safe. He searches out treats for them to eat, approves of their nest choices or even shows 'em good places to lay their eggs.

Why would anyone NOT roo?
tongue.png

Yah, I know the reasons, trust me. I am just not one of those people. I love roosters. Get yerself a new roo!

thumbsup.gif
ya.gif
I do want another rooster.My neighbors don't have any problem with them and I don't want to many.I love to watch them and the one that I had was a gentleman.He wouldn't start eating treats until all the hens were there and had started eating.I'm looking now to see what breed I want.I will order one when I order my pullets within the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom