To roof or not to roof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by punk chicken, Oct 8, 2013.

1. punk chicken

punk chicken New Egg

Sep 29, 2013
    Hi,all
    Have built my run,a quick question where i live(Northern Ireland)we get our fair share of rain which brings me to my question.I have heard that Chickens don't like rain very much so i was wondering should i put a roof on obviously one made from clear plastic so as to let natural light in,what does everyone think?
    Thanx.

2. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    it dependes on the size of the run and weather it will be stationary or movable. I would cover over a small part if it was a big run but if is only a small run I would put a roof on it but leave some of it uncovered to let them enjoy the full extent of the suns rays on nice days

3. punk chicken

punk chicken New Egg

Sep 29, 2013
    The run is approx 10ft by 6ft.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    While chickens don't love the rain, mine have never seemed to particularly mind it. I would perhaps just roof in part of the run to give them a sheltered place to get out of the weather; in that case the roof doesn't even have to be clear. The only other reasons why I would put a roof on the run would be if aerial predators (hawks, etc.) are common where you live or if you're worried about the chickens flying out of the run.

5. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    In that case I would put a roof over the first 3-4 feet from the coop side jut to give them a sheltered area. And depending on the height of the run I would put netting over the rest

6. punk chicken

punk chicken New Egg

Sep 29, 2013
    Run is 6ft high we are in an Urban area,was a bit worried about cats though.Will they be a problem?

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Probably not. Cats will occasionally hunt and kill chicks, but your average cat won't be able to take down a full-sized chicken.

8. punk chicken

punk chicken New Egg

Sep 29, 2013
    Oh btw the run is stationary.

9. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    I vote for a covered run. For the last 5 years, I've done the moveable-roop-and-run thing... Chickens tear up the grass in no time at all, leaving it bare dirt. Then when it rains the dirt turns to mud. It is hard to judge the emotional state of chickens, but they do not seem to like wading in mud. This climate has it all, so in addition to plenty of rain, we get hot, sunny summers and they need shade, then. My husband and I are in the process of building a stationary coop and run with very similar dimensions to yours: 6' by 12' in the wichita-cabin style (i.e. an elevated coop and attached run, all under a single shed roof). With a covered run, I can put bedding down-- straw or leaves or wood shavings-- for the chickens to scratch in, and it won't get so muddy.

Just my two cents...

Oh, and if I lived in a climate that was overcast and rainy a lot, like the Pacific Northwest of this continent, or where you are, I'd definitely do a translucent roof! I'm using solid roofing because in the Southeast, shade is an equally pressing concern.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  10. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Covering due to rain is probably just a luxury. Mine seem to have no problem just hanging out in the rain versus heading into the coop. If you have hawks etc. in the area than a cover would be wise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by