To roost inside or outside.. that is the question.. lol

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by naybusby, Jan 22, 2013.

1. naybusby

naybusby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    I have been raising chickens for 3 years and my chickens currently have the option to roost inside the coop or outside the coop. In cold, heat rain, snow and hurricanes they prefer the outside roost. My husband and I are relocating our chickens this month.. building a new coop and a completely covered run. We cant decide if we should build the roosts inside the coup or give them the option again.. Opinions welcome!! (ps, I currently have 34 hens and roosters that live together. I have 10 sultans coming that will live in their own space, and 10 red stars that will join this bunch when they are big enough) [​IMG]

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Not wanting to do extra work, I would build the roost inside and call it a day.

Chris

3. birdbrain1948

birdbrain1948 Out Of The Brooder

This discussion interested me because a local vendor is offering a great-looking coop/run similar to a BYC member's "My Little Coop" but the roost is outside in the run area while the nest boxes are built into the coop part. The enclosed area has only 3 sides and a roof, but there is no floor. Will someone please check it out at www.carolinabackyards.com ? I am wondering if this design is a good one and would value your opinion.

4. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I have owls near by, outside is not an option, I have had 1 try to get into the coop through a screen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by